Solomon Directing the Building of the Temple

  Solomon Directing the Building of the Temple

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

1862

Two-light window.

technique: stained glass
size: 45 cm (width of each light)

Church of St James and St Elidyr, Stackpole Elidor, Pembrokeshire
south wall of the south transept

Signed and dated by the firm.

Given by the inhabitants of the Stackpole Estate, in recognition of the First Lord Cawdor, patron of the church.

The figure of Solomon has been described as that of Lord Cawdor. However, a very similar figure in a window by the same firm from 1864 at All Saints, Margaret Street, London, has remarkably similar features, and must therefore cast doubt on the authenticity of this attribution.





 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Solomon Directing the Building of the Temple

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other artworks at this site

Further reading

Thomas Lloyd, Julian Orbach and Robert Scourfield, The Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire (New Haven/London: Yale University Press, 2004), p. 458.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019