Christ the Good Shepherd with St David and St Luke
about 1935Three-light window with standing figures on plain backgrounds.
technique: stained glass
firm/studio: Bristow Wadley & Co. Ltd.
designer: Charles Powell
Church of St Barnabas, Gilfach Goch, Rhondda Cynon Taff
east wall of the chancel
The original figures in the window were designed either by Charles Powell, shortly before his death in 1934, or more probably by his son Christopher Charles Powell. According to the faculty, dated January 1935, the window was originally intended to depict the saints with the crucified Christ.
Following war damage, the window was substantially renewed in 1954 by the Cardiff firm of Bristow Wadley & Co., according to the Llandaff diocesan records (among uncatalogued faculties in the National Library of Wales). Drawings were prepared by L.H. Prag of the firm. How much of the original window was retained, if any, is uncertain.
David is shown playing the harp, a conflation of the imagery of the Welsh saint and the biblical David.
Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Bristow Wadley & Co. Ltd.
Click here for other works connected to Charles Powell
A Directory of Stained Glass Windows executed within the past twenty years (London: The British Society of Master Glass-Painters, 1939), p. 65.
A Directory of Stained Glass Windows executed within the past twenty years (London: The British Society of Master Glass-Painters, 1952), p. 72.
View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2022 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information
Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2022