St David and St George

  St David and St George

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

1982

Two-light window. A standing figure of David in the left light and a kneeling figure in the right-hand light of George in armour. Both face left towards to the front of the church.

technique: stained glass
size: 38 cm (width of each light)
firm/studio: Joseph Bell & Son

Church of St Arvan, St Arvans, Monmouthshire
south wall of the south aisle

Signed and dated by the studio, with initials of those who had worked on the window: Geoffrey Robinson, who ran the studio, Basil Barber, and Michael Lassen. Basil Edward Errington Barber had worked as chief cartoonist for Ninian Comper, and after he had left, helped Arnold Robinson from 1953 and ran the studio until Geoffrey Robinson was able to take over in 1959. Following a period in Australia, Barber retuned to England in the 1970s, and again assisted the studio as a glass painter, and in this case, cartooned the figures to make them fit with the style of earlier Wilkinson windows (information kindly provided by Geoffrey Robinson).




 

Other works associated with this work

  An Angel and the Virgin Mary

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Joseph Bell & Son


View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019