Scenes from the New Testament

  Scenes from the New Testament

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

1857

Three-light window. The central scene is of the Crucifixion, with the Centurion kneeling before Christ in the left-hand light, and a saint, perhaps Peter or Paul, preaching in the right-hand light.

technique: stained glass
size: 60 cm (width of the central light) [approx]
artist: Francis Wilson Oliphant

Pentrefoelas Parish Church, Pentrefoelas, Conwy
east wall of the chancel

Signed 'FWO' and dated in the lower part of the scene in the right-hand light, although the paint loss makes the date difficult to read. It probably reads 1857.

Text running along the bottom of each of the three lights: ‘Take the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation & the sword of the Spirit’ (Ephesians 6:16-17).

Given in memory of Heneage Wynne, a major in the 68th Durham Light Infantry, and a son of C.W. G. Wynne, who was killed at the battle of Inkerman, 5 November, 1854.


The text from 'the whole armour of God' section in Ephesians is echoed in the military references in the scenes above, which include the Centurion before Christ, and Longinus at the Crucifixion. The choice of text might also suggest that Paul is preaching in the scene in the right-hand light, or alternatively, following the military theme in the other scenes, that it is Peter preaching before Cornelius.



 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Scenes from the New TestamentChrist Meeting the Centurion of Capernaum: Scenes from the New TestamentThe Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary, St John and Longinus: Scenes from the New TestamentAn Apostle Preaching: Scenes from the New Testament

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Francis Wilson Oliphant

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 94.

D. R. Thomas, The History of the Diocese of St Asaph (Oswestry: Caxton Press, 1908-1913), vol. II, p. 351.

References

Edward Hubbard, The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (Harmondsworth/Cardiff: Penguin/University of Wales Press, 1986), p. 258.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019