Scenes from the Life of Christ
Photo © Peter Bellis
Three-light window with six scenes. The left-hand light depicts the presentation of Christ in the Temple, and, below, the shepherds looking down at Christ in the manger. The central light depicts the Crucifixion with Mary, John a further male disciple and Mary Magdalene, over the Last Supper with Christ and the disciples. The right-hand light depicts Christ ascending into heaven with the disciples below while the lower picture shows Christ rising from the dead with sleeping soldiers below.
technique: stained glass
firm/studio: Ward & Hughes
Church of St Mary & St David, Flint, Flintshire
east wall of the chancel
According to Malcolm Seaborne the window is signed and dated 'H. Hughes London 1873.' The three window lights, each with two scenes, were given by three different donors.
Texts in the left-hand light: 'To present him to the Lord' and above the lower picture are the words 'Glory to God in the highest' and below this picture the words 'Born of the Virgin Mary'. The text at the bottom of the window reads 'To the Glory of God and in memory of Thomas Eyton'.
Texts in the central light: 'It is finished' and with the lower panel 'This do in remembrance of me', while the dedication at the bottom reads 'In memory of John and Mary Hayward 1872'.
Texts in the right-hand light: 'He ascended into heaven' and 'On the third day He rose again'. The text at the bottom of the window reads 'To the Glory of God and in memory of Edward and Sarah Williams of Pentre'.
Rather than only using biblical quotes, as was more usual, the window draws on the creed for some of its short texts.
The Eyton family were large landowners and coal mine owners in Flintshire; they owned several mines in Flint. They also gave the window depicting the Good Samaritan on the north side of the church, in memory of Robert Eyton.
In the 1841 census John Hayward is described as the first Registrar of Births and Deaths in Flint. He lived with his wife at 1 Trelawny Square, owning a chemist and druggist shop. In later life he described himself as a surgeon. Edward and Sarah Williams were farmers in Pentre, Oakenholt and they donated the land for St Davidâ€™s Church in Oakenholt.
Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Ward & Hughes
Malcolm Seaborne, Victorian and Later Stained Glass Windows in Flintshire Churches (Mold: 1996), p. 20.
View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Photo © Peter Bellis
This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information
Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019