The Journey to and Supper at Emmaus

  The Journey to and Supper at Emmaus

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

1958

Two-light window with two scenes.

technique: stained glass
size: 42 cm (width of each light)
firm/studio: Celtic Studios

Church of St Margaret, Crynant, Neath Port Talbot
north wall of the nave

Given in memory of David Nesiah, Mary Garbett Morgan and John and Mary Garbett.

Although both scenes appear to depict scenes from the account of the journey to, and the supper at, Emmaus, one of the figures at the table in the right-hand light is beardless, whereas both men are bearded in the scene on the road. Could this mean that this interpretation is wrong, or just that there is some discontinuity in the depictions? There are differences between the two lights, and are perhaps the work of different designers, craftsmen or painters at the Studios.



 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

The Journey to Emmaus: The Journey to and Supper at EmmausThe Supper at Emmaus: The Journey to and Supper at Emmaus

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Celtic Studios

Further reading

Maurice Broady, 'The Secret of the Dulais Valley. Stained Glass Windows in St Margaret's, Crynant' in Morgannwg, vol. XXXVII (1993), 89, 96.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019