Ascension with St Anne, St Agnes, St Edward the Confessor and St Philip

  Ascension with St Anne, St Agnes, St Edward the Confessor and St Philip

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

1952

Five-light window with two small rose lights and one large rose light above: the small left rose light contains the Llandaff diocesan coat of arms, whilst the right contains a shield with the emblem of St Margaret (a dragon with a cross lodged in its throat). The large rose light depicts Christ in majesty seated on a rainbow amidst eight rosettes containing ecclesiastical symbols, including the four symbols of the evangelists.

technique: stained glass

firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd.

Church of St Margaret, Roath, Cardiff
east wall of the chancel

The window replaces a former window damaged during the Second World War. The cowled monk of James Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) is shown in the lower right-hand corner of the window, below St Philip.

St Anne, St Agnes, St Edward the Confessor and St Philip were the patron saints of the daughter churches of the parish of Roath in 1952.





 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Ascension with St Anne, St Agnes, St Edward the Confessor and St PhilipAscension with St Anne, St Agnes, St Edward the Confessor and St PhilipSt Philip the Apostle: Ascension with St Anne, St Agnes, St Edward the Confessor and St Philip

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to James Powell & Sons

Further reading

Diane A. Walker, A Guide to the Parish Church of St Margaret, Roath (Cardiff: c. 1990), p. 15.

References

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (London/Cardiff: 1995), p. 300.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019