Heavenly Gifts

  Heavenly Gifts

Photo © Martin Crampin

Windows on the north side of the nave.

larger image

1977

Two pairs of windows on opposite sides of the nave clerestory. Although largely abstract, some symbols are clear and a biblical text is given above the easternmost light of each pair. In the south pair, the biblical reference is to the parable of the wheat and the tares. The left-hand light shows a dove descending upon a church with the suggestion of a red cross. The north pair has a reference to Isaiah 45: 8, the raining down and springing up of righteousness and salvation. There are suggestions of the sun, the chi-rho and the chalice and host in the left-hand light, and on the right a descending dove and the suggestion of a red sword, and a serpent, a torch and a wheel at the bottom.

technique: stained glass

artist: Leonard Charles Evetts

Church of St Theodore, Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot
north and south clerestory

Signed by the artist.

Each light carries a name of those commemorated, all from the same family: Guiditta Rosa Elizabeth Cound (1889-1971), William James Francis Cound (1893-1974), Richard Martin Cound (1855-1915), Mary Cound (1853-1937).

The windows were reset in their current position in 2000, from their original position in the south chapel. These openings are larger, with the upper roundels added above one of the lights.





 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Heavenly GiftsHeavenly Gifts

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Leonard Charles Evetts

Further reading

Leonard Evetts: Master Designer (Newcastle-on-Tyne: 2001), pp. 72, 197.

References

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (London/Cardiff: 1995), p. 533.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019