Christ Blessing the Elements and Other Subjects

  Christ Blessing the Elements and Other Subjects

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

about 1840

Single-light window. Coloured glass set in geometric patterns with five painted scenes.

technique: stained glass
size: 45 cm (width)
artist: Sarah Salusbury

Church of St Mary, Llanwern, Newport
south wall of sanctuary

According to Stanley Jones (Rector 1941-53) these fragments are all that remain of the south-east window, 'which was broken when I came into the parish and it was skilfully repaired in order to retain such parts..as were not broken'. It was the companion piece to a lost east window: 'Originally...the east window was of painted glass, depicting the interior of a large church or cathedral with the figure of Abraham in the centre and surrounded by illustrations taken from the Old Testament'. Jones records that both 'were said' to be painted by Sarah, daughter of Sir Robert Salusbury, 1st Baronet, and that the figures represented members of her family - her brother Charles, the 3rd Baronet, being the model for Abraham. The windows were completed about 1840, and Sarah Salusbury died in 1866 aged 84. The Revd Sir Charles Salusbury was rector here 1816-68, so in effect he was depicted in the principal window of the church as the Patriarch (no doubt, as rector and squire seeing himself in that capacity in relation to the parish).




 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Christ Blessing the Elements and Other SubjectsChrist Blessing the Elements and Other SubjectsChrist Blessing the Elements and Other SubjectsChrist Blessing the Elements and Other Subjects

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Sarah Salusbury

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 77.

Stanley Jones, Llanwern and Bishton (1941-1953), pp. 31-32, p. 34.

Joseph Bradney, A History of Monmouthshire (Chesterfield: Merton Priory Press, 1994), vol. 4 part 2, p. 254.

References

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (London/Cardiff: 2000), p. 369.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019