The Good Wife

  The Good Wife

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

1896

Three-light window. The central light depicts a mother carrying an infant and holding the hand of a young boy (probably portraits). Left light depicts four more children, and the right light a man and a shepherd. Bodelwyddan church is shown in the background. Six angels bearing texts in the tracery.

technique: stained glass
size: 45 cm (width of each light) [approx]
firm/studio: T.F. Curtis, Ward & Hughes
designer: T. F. Curtis

Church of St Margaret, Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire
west end of the south aisle

Six angels in the tracery bear the following texts: "She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life", "This women was full of good works", "Thy wife shall be as the fruitful vine upon the walls of thine house, thy children like the olive branches round thy table". Angels hold further texts in upper part of main lights: "A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband", "her price is far above rubies", "The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her". Angels in the lower part of the window bear the following texts: "Her children arise up and call her blessed", "Her husband also and he praiseth her".

Dedication: To the glory of God and in memory of Ellinor Harriet Williams born May 3, 1864 died April 30, 1894. This window is dedicated by her husband William Grenville Williams and her brother Francis Hunt Sitwell AD 1896.





 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

The Good WifeThe Good WifeThe Good WifeThe Good Wife

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Ward & Hughes
Click here for other works connected to T. F. Curtis

References

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 155.

Edward Hubbard, The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (Harmondsworth/Cardiff: Penguin/University of Wales Press, 1986), p. 324.

Malcolm Seaborne, Victorian and Later Stained Glass Windows in Flintshire Churches (Mold: 1996), p. 20.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019