Artworks containing this subject

lamb bearing cross or banner, 'Agnus Dei' - symbol of Christ (11D1311)

The Lamb, as a symbol of Christ, is alluded to throughout the book of Relevation. The lamb stands for sacrifice, for redemption, and alludes to John 1:29. The lamb was thus adopted as a symbol for Christ in early iconography. Shown standing, with a gonfalon, it can point forward to the coming Resurrection. The probable inspiration for much of this imagery is Jan Van Eyck's 1432 altarpiece in St Bavo, Ghent.

Browse full subject index  List related subjects

  Agnus Dei Adored by St Mary Magdalene and St Tadioc Agnus Dei Adored by St Mary Magdalene and St Tadioc
designer: Francis Stephens
1954
Church of St Peter, Dixton, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Light of the World The Light of the World
artist (after): William Holman Hunt
about 1884
Church of All Saints, Glasbury, Powys
north wall of the nave
  Symbols of Christ    from    Symbols of Christ and St Peter Symbols of Christ
from Symbols of Christ and St Peter

firm/studio: Celtic Studios
designer: John Edwards
1965
Church of St Peter, Glasbury, Powys
gable, west wall
  Revelation to St John the Divine Revelation to St John the Divine
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1917
Church of St Margaret, Roath, Cardiff
west wall of north transept
  Various Symbols Various Symbols
designer: J. P. St Aubyn
1879
Church of St David, Carreg-wen, Pembrokeshire
west wall of the nave
  Symbols from Revelation Symbols from Revelation
firm/studio: William Morris & Co (Westminster)
designer: Frederick W. Cole
1956
St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
west wall of the north aisle
  Altar Cross Altar Cross
Church of the Five Saints, Llanpumsaint, Carmarthenshire
altar table, sanctuary
  Frontispiece    from    Iluminations from <em>The Book of Collects</em> Frontispiece
from Iluminations from The Book of Collects

1854
St David's Cathedral Library, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
  Agnus Dei Agnus Dei
about 1867-1870
Church of St George, Reynoldston, Swansea
east wall of the north transept
  Agnus Dei Agnus Dei
firm/studio: Michael and Arthur O'Connor
1859
Church of St Margaret, Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire
east end of the north aisle



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2022 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2022